GSA Tech Guides
All guides » Agile guides
Agile Investment - Proof Of Concept (PoC) Checklist
During the PoC Phase:
- Agile Scrum team is assigned to implement and test solution recommendation
- Provide and measure outcome of PoC team
- Review PoC recommendation
- Business / technical review to approve/reject progressing to next Phase
Input Checklist Before Starting PoC
Scope and Approach
- PoC scope is defined
- High-level business needs have been identified and prioritized
- High-level technical needs and requirements have been identified and prioritized
- Approach for PoC phase had been defined
People and Resources
- Sponsoring Department/Executive has been defined
- Key personnel resources and skill sets identified and secured
- Assigned Product Owner from the Business Team
- Assigned Scrum Master
- Agile coaching support and guidance
- Team members are fully dedicated to the PoC effort
- Development environment setup completed (e.g. test/dev environment, production, etc.)
Access requirements identified, requested and setup completed
PoC Output Checklist
PoC Success Criteria
- Measures of success for PoC have been met and accepted by stakeholders
- Recommendation for Prototype phase developed
- Key personnel resources and skill requirements identified
- Process approach is defined
- Prototype Scope is defined
- High-level business features have been identified and prioritized
- High-level technical features and requirements have been identified and prioritized
Sample Technical Considerations for Next Phase Recommendations
Existing Solutions and Systems
- Has it been specified if the solution requested is a feature fix or capability enhancement on an existing platform?
- Has it been determined if the capability will reside in a solution that is GSA-internal or managed by an external vendor
- Specify if it will reside on a current GSA IT platform that is up for contract renegotiation
- Has it been determined if Solution is cloud based, if not, will it need to integrate with an application maintained in Cloud Services or on premise services?
- Has solution languages, tools and applications been determined e.g. web, mobile, core SW languages (Java, Python), Open source/public code, etc.?
- Has it been specified if the solution requested is a service or solution IaaS, PaaS or SaaS?
- Has the type of data the solution will work with been identified? (e.g. No Data, Structured Data OR/AND Unstructured Data)
- Has the condition of the data been specified (Format - JSON, XML, Excel, CSV, etc. Data size, frequency of capture, current storage)?
- Has it been determined if PII or Payment Card Information (e.g. credit card numbers) will be stored in the system?
- Has it been stated if the solution should leverage Single Sign-on (SSO). If yes, have the applicable GSA IT platforms or applications identified?
Environment and Integration
- Has the list of other applications the solution requires to interface/integrate with been identified? (e.g. GSA IT platforms, Vendor platforms, etc.)
- Have integration requirements with a third-party application, another system within GSA, and/or a system outside GSA? If yes, have applications been listed?
- Specify if the system is assessed through GSA network only or through outside network
- Has required access been identified, requested and setup completed?